Hisar violence: Jats protest with dead body
Hisar: Agitating protestors from the Jat community in Haryana’s Hisar city on Thursday demonstrated near the railway tracks with the dead body of a youth killed in violent clashes over reservation row.
20-year-old Sandeep was killed and several others were injured in a clash between police personnel and Jat villagers in Hisar District.
“We had peacefully finished our protest at 11 p.m., there was no need for the government to adopt violent measures. These measures are used to oppress farmers and the government does not talk to us in a positive manner. The police opened fired and a youth was killed in the firing and 41persons were critically injured. The government has done injustice to us,” said Suresh, a protestor.
The agitators are demanding reservation under the other backward class category in government jobs and educational institutions but delay in the process has escalated the instances of violence.
Rapid Action Force (RAF) personnel and the police were deployed in the city, to refrain protestors from indulging in violent incidents.
“We are determined towards maintaining peace in the area and the mischievous elements who are trying to create panic in the region would be detained,” said Ranjiv Singh Dalal, Director General of Police, Haryana.
Earlier, on Sunday, leaders of the Jat community had suspended their 14-day agitation after talks with the Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda.
Clashes broke out between police personnel and villagers of the Jat community in Hisar district on Wednesday as the police tried to withdraw protestors who were blocking railway tracks and national highway to demand reservation. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday