Hooda announces hike in freedom fighters pension
Karnal: Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda on Wednesday announced an increase in the monthly pension of freedom fighters and their widows from Rs 15,000 to Rs 20,000.
Paying rich tributes to martyrs and freedom fighters, Hooda said they sacrificed all their comforts so that the coming generations could live with dignity.
"We will always remain indebted to their supreme sacrifice," the chief minister said while addressing a state- level function of Independence Day celebrations after unfurling the national flag here.
During last year Haryana had increased the pension being given to the freedom fighters and their widows from Rs 11,000 to Rs 15,000.
Hooda said the foundation stone of Kalpana Chawla Government Medical College here would be laid on November 19.
"It was on this day in 1997 that astronaut Kalpana Chawla began her first space mission and the day is also celebrated as the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi," he said.
He said Union Minister of Civil Aviation Ajit Singh has assured to consider his request to set up airports in Karnal and Hisar.
The chief minister expressed happiness over the scintillating performance of players from the state in the recently concluded London Olympic Games, and said in the Indian contingent of 81 players, 18 players were from Haryana.
Out of total six medals won by the country, four winning players hailed from Haryana, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days