Hooda for uniformity in rates of VAT in NCR
Chandigarh: Favouring "seamless" connectivity in the NCR, Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda on Friday advocated uniformity in rates of VAT in the region and removal of all types of physical barriers on inter-state borders.
Haryana has always believed in seamless connectivity for free movement across the Northern states and has taken necessary steps for smooth flow of transport within the region, Hooda said at the 26th meeting of the Northern Zonal Council presided over by Union Home Minister P Chidambaram here.
Reciprocal transport agreements for various types of goods and passenger transport vehicles have been signed with the adjoining states, he added.
The Chief Minister said the Government of Haryana indicates its "in-principle" agreement for facilitating free flow of goods and services within the National Capital Region.
As far as possible there should be uniformity in the rates of VAT in the NCR. "We also strongly support the removal of all types of physical barriers on inter-State borders. Haryana removed the sales tax barriers way back in 1994. As such there are no entry barriers in the State of Haryana.
"The barriers existing in other parts of NCR should also be removed," he said.
Hooda suggested a committee of officers and experts be constituted to work out the details in this regard. Thereafter, the Northern Zonal Council could consider the matter and arrive at a consensus which should be followed-up by a time-bound implementation schedule, added Hooda.
He said a Comprehensive Mobility Plan for Chandigarh Urban Complex has been prepared by UT, Administration Chandigarh in which the Governments of Haryana and Punjab have also participated.
In the first phase, a metro line will be laid in Panchkula for a stretch of 6.5 kms (Housing Board Chowk to Sector 21, Panchkula). This project is likely to be implemented by 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan