Hooda for uniformity in rates of VAT in NCR
Chandigarh: Favouring "seamless" connectivity in the NCR, Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda on Friday advocated uniformity in rates of VAT in the region and removal of all types of physical barriers on inter-state borders.
Haryana has always believed in seamless connectivity for free movement across the Northern states and has taken necessary steps for smooth flow of transport within the region, Hooda said at the 26th meeting of the Northern Zonal Council presided over by Union Home Minister P Chidambaram here.
Reciprocal transport agreements for various types of goods and passenger transport vehicles have been signed with the adjoining states, he added.
The Chief Minister said the Government of Haryana indicates its "in-principle" agreement for facilitating free flow of goods and services within the National Capital Region.
As far as possible there should be uniformity in the rates of VAT in the NCR. "We also strongly support the removal of all types of physical barriers on inter-State borders. Haryana removed the sales tax barriers way back in 1994. As such there are no entry barriers in the State of Haryana.
"The barriers existing in other parts of NCR should also be removed," he said.
Hooda suggested a committee of officers and experts be constituted to work out the details in this regard. Thereafter, the Northern Zonal Council could consider the matter and arrive at a consensus which should be followed-up by a time-bound implementation schedule, added Hooda.
He said a Comprehensive Mobility Plan for Chandigarh Urban Complex has been prepared by UT, Administration Chandigarh in which the Governments of Haryana and Punjab have also participated.
In the first phase, a metro line will be laid in Panchkula for a stretch of 6.5 kms (Housing Board Chowk to Sector 21, Panchkula). This project is likely to be implemented by 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees