Hooda for uniformity in rates of VAT in NCR
Chandigarh: Favouring "seamless" connectivity in the NCR, Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda on Friday advocated uniformity in rates of VAT in the region and removal of all types of physical barriers on inter-state borders.
Haryana has always believed in seamless connectivity for free movement across the Northern states and has taken necessary steps for smooth flow of transport within the region, Hooda said at the 26th meeting of the Northern Zonal Council presided over by Union Home Minister P Chidambaram here.
Reciprocal transport agreements for various types of goods and passenger transport vehicles have been signed with the adjoining states, he added.
The Chief Minister said the Government of Haryana indicates its "in-principle" agreement for facilitating free flow of goods and services within the National Capital Region.
As far as possible there should be uniformity in the rates of VAT in the NCR. "We also strongly support the removal of all types of physical barriers on inter-State borders. Haryana removed the sales tax barriers way back in 1994. As such there are no entry barriers in the State of Haryana.
"The barriers existing in other parts of NCR should also be removed," he said.
Hooda suggested a committee of officers and experts be constituted to work out the details in this regard. Thereafter, the Northern Zonal Council could consider the matter and arrive at a consensus which should be followed-up by a time-bound implementation schedule, added Hooda.
He said a Comprehensive Mobility Plan for Chandigarh Urban Complex has been prepared by UT, Administration Chandigarh in which the Governments of Haryana and Punjab have also participated.
In the first phase, a metro line will be laid in Panchkula for a stretch of 6.5 kms (Housing Board Chowk to Sector 21, Panchkula). This project is likely to be implemented by 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Eurozone business activity strong despite Brexit: Survey
- India does not play for rankings, says Virat Kohli
- US backs Amnesty over India sedition case, says it respects group's right to express freely
- ''No Indian hand in Nepal government change''
- Daddy's little girl Priyanka Chopra remembers father on his third birth anniversary! See pic