Hooda for uniformity in rates of VAT in NCR
Chandigarh: Favouring "seamless" connectivity in the NCR, Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda on Friday advocated uniformity in rates of VAT in the region and removal of all types of physical barriers on inter-state borders.
Haryana has always believed in seamless connectivity for free movement across the Northern states and has taken necessary steps for smooth flow of transport within the region, Hooda said at the 26th meeting of the Northern Zonal Council presided over by Union Home Minister P Chidambaram here.
Reciprocal transport agreements for various types of goods and passenger transport vehicles have been signed with the adjoining states, he added.
The Chief Minister said the Government of Haryana indicates its "in-principle" agreement for facilitating free flow of goods and services within the National Capital Region.
As far as possible there should be uniformity in the rates of VAT in the NCR. "We also strongly support the removal of all types of physical barriers on inter-State borders. Haryana removed the sales tax barriers way back in 1994. As such there are no entry barriers in the State of Haryana.
"The barriers existing in other parts of NCR should also be removed," he said.
Hooda suggested a committee of officers and experts be constituted to work out the details in this regard. Thereafter, the Northern Zonal Council could consider the matter and arrive at a consensus which should be followed-up by a time-bound implementation schedule, added Hooda.
He said a Comprehensive Mobility Plan for Chandigarh Urban Complex has been prepared by UT, Administration Chandigarh in which the Governments of Haryana and Punjab have also participated.
In the first phase, a metro line will be laid in Panchkula for a stretch of 6.5 kms (Housing Board Chowk to Sector 21, Panchkula). This project is likely to be implemented by 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report