Hooda likely to continue as Haryana CM, lead Congress in Assembly polls
New Delhi: Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda today met Congress President Sonia Gandhi after which there were indications that he will continue in the post as also lead the party in the Assembly elections due later this year.
Shakeel Ahmed, Congress general secretary in-charge of Haryana, said Hooda met Gandhi here. Sources later said Hooda will continue as chief minister and also lead the party in the Assembly polls. The term of the present Haryana Assembly will end in October after which the elections would be held.
After the party`s rout in the recent General Assembly elections, there was much speculation of a revamp of the state leadership. Senior Congress leader Birender Singh had recently spoken out against Hooda`s leadership in the state and blamed him for the poll debacle.
Singh reportedly also said at a rally in Jind last month that he would not contest the upcoming assembly elections under the leadership of Hooda.
In the Lok Sabha elections, the Congress managed to win just one of the 10 seats in Haryana whereas rivals BJP won seven seats and INLD two.
The lone Congress winner in the state was Hooda`s son Deepender Hooda who managed to retain his Lok Sabha seat from Rohtak.
Following the rout of the party, there was much talk that the existing leadership of the state may have to take the blame. However, sources said that there is also a viewpoint in the party that Hooda should continue especially as it is felt that there exists a TINA (There is no Alternative) factor.
Party sources said that it is also felt that the voting patterns would not be the same for the state elections and Congress will manage to put up a better showing that its performance in the Lok Sabha elections.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!