Hooda likely to continue as Haryana CM, lead Congress in Assembly polls
New Delhi: Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda today met Congress President Sonia Gandhi after which there were indications that he will continue in the post as also lead the party in the Assembly elections due later this year.
Shakeel Ahmed, Congress general secretary in-charge of Haryana, said Hooda met Gandhi here. Sources later said Hooda will continue as chief minister and also lead the party in the Assembly polls. The term of the present Haryana Assembly will end in October after which the elections would be held.
After the party`s rout in the recent General Assembly elections, there was much speculation of a revamp of the state leadership. Senior Congress leader Birender Singh had recently spoken out against Hooda`s leadership in the state and blamed him for the poll debacle.
Singh reportedly also said at a rally in Jind last month that he would not contest the upcoming assembly elections under the leadership of Hooda.
In the Lok Sabha elections, the Congress managed to win just one of the 10 seats in Haryana whereas rivals BJP won seven seats and INLD two.
The lone Congress winner in the state was Hooda`s son Deepender Hooda who managed to retain his Lok Sabha seat from Rohtak.
Following the rout of the party, there was much talk that the existing leadership of the state may have to take the blame. However, sources said that there is also a viewpoint in the party that Hooda should continue especially as it is felt that there exists a TINA (There is no Alternative) factor.
Party sources said that it is also felt that the voting patterns would not be the same for the state elections and Congress will manage to put up a better showing that its performance in the Lok Sabha elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you