Hooda to find details of Kanda case, Chautala asks govt to go
Chandigarh: With a case registered in Delhi against Haryana Minister Gopal Kanda in connection with suicide of a young woman, Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda on Sunday said he will find out its details even as opposition INLD stepped up pressure demanding the minister`s immediate arrest and dismissal of the State Government.
"I have come to know about this. I am finding out the details...Let me check the facts," Hooda, was was attending a function in Kolkata today, said.
Hooda was in Kolkata on the invitation of Haryana Nagrik Sangh and MCC Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Kolkata.
Kanda, an Independent MLA from Sirsa constituency and Minister of State for Home and Youth Affairs, could not be contacted, but an aide said he was expected to brief the media in Gurgaon this evening.
Hours after the case was registered, Indian National Lok Dal President and former Chief Minister Om Prakash Chautala demanded immediate arrest of Kanda and dismissal of the State Government.
He said that earlier a Haryana Minister and a Chief Parliamentary Secretary in the Hooda government had faced allegations of involvement in murder of a former Sarpanch in Karnal district.
Chautala alleged that the corruption-ridden Hooda government had crossed all boundaries and lost moral right to stay in power.
He further alleged that it was not the first time that the "controversial Minister" was caught on the wrong foot of the law.
The INLD leader said that during his party-sponsored bandh in Sirsa in August 2010, Kanda`s bodyguards had allegedly assaulted its activists during the shutdown, a charge which was then denied by the Independent legislator.
He also said that names of Kanda`s associates had figured in an alleged gangrape of a girl, assault on a former international cricketer and some income tax sleuths.
"One can only imagine how safe will the people of Haryana be when a person like him (Kanda) has been entrusted with the responsibility to handle the Home Department," Chautala said.
A 23-year-old former woman employee of the now defunct MDLR airline allegedly committed suicide at her Delhi residence and police today registered a case against Kanda, who was the owner of the airline, on charges of abetting the crime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown