Hooda to meet agitating farmers of Ambala villages
Ambala: The Haryana Government has decided
to meet agitating farmers of Panjokhra and five other villages
who have been sitting on a chain fast to protest acquisition
of their land for setting up of a township there, an official
said here on Sunday.
The former Ambala Cantt MLA Nirmal Singh will take a
delegation of agitating farmers with him tomorrow for a
meeting with the Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda in
Chandigarh, the secretary of `Jameen Bachao Sangharsh Samiti`,
Bhupinder Singh said.
The Sanghrash Samiti has finalised a delegation of its
14 members, who will be meeting Hooda.
The decision came two days after the Haryana
Government put on hold the land acquisitions in the state,
except in case of essential infrastructure projects, in view
of the likely introduction of the Land Acquisition Bill in the
forthcoming session of the Parliament.
Union Minister and Congress MP from Ambala, Selja had
been opposing the acquisition of the 1852 acres of "fertile
land" for setting up an Industrial Model Township (IMT) in
those villages and she had in December last year also written
a letter to the Chief Minister in this regard.
Haryana Youth Congress was also openly opposing this
move and its senior leaders including its President
Chiranjeevi Rao had joined the chain fast along with the
Recently, the Allahabad High Court struck down
acquisition of hundreds of hectares of land in villages in
Greater Noida - dubbed as Noida Extension by builders -
leading to uncertainty over the fate of several residential
projects in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured