Hooda to meet agitating farmers of Ambala villages
Ambala: The Haryana Government has decided
to meet agitating farmers of Panjokhra and five other villages
who have been sitting on a chain fast to protest acquisition
of their land for setting up of a township there, an official
said here on Sunday.
The former Ambala Cantt MLA Nirmal Singh will take a
delegation of agitating farmers with him tomorrow for a
meeting with the Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda in
Chandigarh, the secretary of `Jameen Bachao Sangharsh Samiti`,
Bhupinder Singh said.
The Sanghrash Samiti has finalised a delegation of its
14 members, who will be meeting Hooda.
The decision came two days after the Haryana
Government put on hold the land acquisitions in the state,
except in case of essential infrastructure projects, in view
of the likely introduction of the Land Acquisition Bill in the
forthcoming session of the Parliament.
Union Minister and Congress MP from Ambala, Selja had
been opposing the acquisition of the 1852 acres of "fertile
land" for setting up an Industrial Model Township (IMT) in
those villages and she had in December last year also written
a letter to the Chief Minister in this regard.
Haryana Youth Congress was also openly opposing this
move and its senior leaders including its President
Chiranjeevi Rao had joined the chain fast along with the
Recently, the Allahabad High Court struck down
acquisition of hundreds of hectares of land in villages in
Greater Noida - dubbed as Noida Extension by builders -
leading to uncertainty over the fate of several residential
projects in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- China, Russia fed up with US hegemony: Chinese daily
- BJP ally Shiv Sena accuses saffron party of spreading falsehood, rumours
- TCS to be levied above Rs 2 lakh only if payment in cash: CBDT
- Locals, tourists trying to make drug-peddling a business: Goa CM
- Watch: Panaji Mayor Surendra Furtado, 6 others fall in creek during a de-weeding drive