Hooda to meet agitating farmers of Ambala villages
Ambala: The Haryana Government has decided
to meet agitating farmers of Panjokhra and five other villages
who have been sitting on a chain fast to protest acquisition
of their land for setting up of a township there, an official
said here on Sunday.
The former Ambala Cantt MLA Nirmal Singh will take a
delegation of agitating farmers with him tomorrow for a
meeting with the Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda in
Chandigarh, the secretary of `Jameen Bachao Sangharsh Samiti`,
Bhupinder Singh said.
The Sanghrash Samiti has finalised a delegation of its
14 members, who will be meeting Hooda.
The decision came two days after the Haryana
Government put on hold the land acquisitions in the state,
except in case of essential infrastructure projects, in view
of the likely introduction of the Land Acquisition Bill in the
forthcoming session of the Parliament.
Union Minister and Congress MP from Ambala, Selja had
been opposing the acquisition of the 1852 acres of "fertile
land" for setting up an Industrial Model Township (IMT) in
those villages and she had in December last year also written
a letter to the Chief Minister in this regard.
Haryana Youth Congress was also openly opposing this
move and its senior leaders including its President
Chiranjeevi Rao had joined the chain fast along with the
Recently, the Allahabad High Court struck down
acquisition of hundreds of hectares of land in villages in
Greater Noida - dubbed as Noida Extension by builders -
leading to uncertainty over the fate of several residential
projects in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why