Hooda`s wife`s "head hangs in shame" over negative things
Chandigarh: Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda`s wife Asha Hooda on Wednesday said her "head hangs in shame" when the state, a frontrunner in many areas, is pointed out for negative things that include adverse sex ratio and recent incidents of crimes against women.
Asha Hooda, who is also Vice President of Council for Child Welfare, Haryana, said that when people talk about the state having made rapid progress in various fields but at the same time point it out for adverse sex ratio and crimes against women, she feels ashamed.
"My head hangs in shame. I really feel ashamed when the state is pointed out (for negative things)...," Asha Hooda said addressing a seminar here on female foeticide and atrocities against women.
Asha Hooda said crime against women is not confined to a particular state but is a nation-wide problem and can be resolved through collective efforts.
"We cannot stop crime against women in the society until we change the mindset of people and for this, the women themselves would have to come forward," she said.
Haryana had reported a series a rape incidents in the last two weeks.
Asha Hooda sought the cooperation of the people, especially the Non Government Organisations (NGOs), to check crime against women.
She also exhorted the women to come forward and make their significant contribution in checking the menace of crime against women.
"Social problems could not be resolved by merely enacting laws," she said, and urged the parents to inculcate moral values in their children so that they contribute to building a strong society.
In reply to a question, she agreed severe punishment should be given to the perpetrators of crime against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Japanese truck driver playing Pokemon Go kills pedestrian
- `No radicalisation` in Australia stabbing death: Police
- How to get MIUI 8 update on Xiaomi smartphone: Check out tutorial
- IT'S DISTURBING: Watch little Syrian girl singing before a bomb explodes
- Planning parenthood through surrogacy? Things you need to know