Hooda`s wife`s "head hangs in shame" over negative things
Chandigarh: Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda`s wife Asha Hooda on Wednesday said her "head hangs in shame" when the state, a frontrunner in many areas, is pointed out for negative things that include adverse sex ratio and recent incidents of crimes against women.
Asha Hooda, who is also Vice President of Council for Child Welfare, Haryana, said that when people talk about the state having made rapid progress in various fields but at the same time point it out for adverse sex ratio and crimes against women, she feels ashamed.
"My head hangs in shame. I really feel ashamed when the state is pointed out (for negative things)...," Asha Hooda said addressing a seminar here on female foeticide and atrocities against women.
Asha Hooda said crime against women is not confined to a particular state but is a nation-wide problem and can be resolved through collective efforts.
"We cannot stop crime against women in the society until we change the mindset of people and for this, the women themselves would have to come forward," she said.
Haryana had reported a series a rape incidents in the last two weeks.
Asha Hooda sought the cooperation of the people, especially the Non Government Organisations (NGOs), to check crime against women.
She also exhorted the women to come forward and make their significant contribution in checking the menace of crime against women.
"Social problems could not be resolved by merely enacting laws," she said, and urged the parents to inculcate moral values in their children so that they contribute to building a strong society.
In reply to a question, she agreed severe punishment should be given to the perpetrators of crime against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video