HSGPC row: SAD terms Haryana move unconstitutional
New Delhi: The Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) on Monday described as "unconstitutional" the Haryana government`s move for a separate body to manage Sikh shrines in the state.
SAD member Prem Singh Chandumajra, who raised the matter in the Lok Sabha after question hour, said Haryana`s action was and "unconstitutional."
"We will not allow SGPC (Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee) to be divided," he said.
Chandumajra said the Haryana government had created Haryana Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Comittee (HSGPC) to garner votes in view of ensuing assembly election in the state.
He also made references about the Congress which were strongly resisted by the party members.
Responding to Chandumajra`s concerns, union Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said the matter was under consideration of the central government.
The Haryana government`s move to have a separate body to manage Sikh shrines in the state is being resisted by the Amritsar-based SGPC and the Shiromani Akali Dal.
Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal had met Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi Friday to seek the central government`s intervention on the issue.
Uion Home Secretary Anil Goswami Friday shot off a letter to the Haryana government, seeking withdrawal of the governor`s assent to the controversial Haryana Sikh Gurdwaras (Management) Bill, 2014.
However, the Haryana government reacted sharply to the letter and outrightly rejected withdrawal of the new act.
The SGPC controls gurdwaras in Punjab, Haryana and Himachal Pradesh. It is likely to lose control of the Haryana shrines following the enactment of the new law in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part II
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part III
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part IV
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary
- Have you ever encountered death? These people did and were lucky to survive it – Watch
- Badaun re-run? Teenage girl murdered after gang-rape, body hanged from tree in UP
- Teen sensation Marcus Rashford signs bumper long-term contract at Manchester United: Reports
- Mexican soccer star Alan Pulido kidnapped in border state
- Sania Mirza-Martina Hingis pair crashes out of French Open