Implement Swaminathan report, amend Hindu Marriage Act: Khaps
Jind(Har): A khap panchayat organised at Kandela in the district on Monday demanded from Centre to implement recommendations of Swaminathan Commission report and amend Hindu Marriage Act.
Speaking to media after the panchayat, Kandela khap head Tekram said BJP has promised to accept recommendations of Swaminathan Commission report on agriculture in its election manifesto and now when it was in power, it must accept the demand.
Tekram also demanded amendments to Hindu Marriage Act, so that same-gotra and same-village marriages could be declared null and void.
The khap panchayat wrote letters to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Home Minister Rajnath Singh and Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh in this regard.
The khap members also threatened to start a nation-wide agitation from November if their demands were not met.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks