Implement Swaminathan report, amend Hindu Marriage Act: Khaps
Jind(Har): A khap panchayat organised at Kandela in the district on Monday demanded from Centre to implement recommendations of Swaminathan Commission report and amend Hindu Marriage Act.
Speaking to media after the panchayat, Kandela khap head Tekram said BJP has promised to accept recommendations of Swaminathan Commission report on agriculture in its election manifesto and now when it was in power, it must accept the demand.
Tekram also demanded amendments to Hindu Marriage Act, so that same-gotra and same-village marriages could be declared null and void.
The khap panchayat wrote letters to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Home Minister Rajnath Singh and Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh in this regard.
The khap members also threatened to start a nation-wide agitation from November if their demands were not met.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them