India lagging behind China, US in innovation: Pranab Mukherjee
Kurukshetra: Lamenting that India`s higher education institutions are facing problem of quality, President Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday said the country was far behind China and the US in terms of innovation and pitched for "drastic action" to reform the system.
He said quality, affordability and accessibility should be the mainstay of higher education to encourage innovation and research.
"Our institutes of higher education continue to be challenged by problems of quality," Mukherjee said addressing the 10th convocation of National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra.
He cited an international survey which showed that no Indian university was amongst the top 200 universities in the world. "This calls for drastic action to reform the way education is imparted in our universities and academic institutes," he said.
As per a recent Forbes survey, only three Indian companies have been listed amongst the world`s most innovative ones, he said, adding the number will increase if the process of innovation is made a permanent feature in institutions of learning.
Talking in terms of innovation, Mukherjee said in 2011, 42,000 patents were filed in India, compared to over five lakh applications filed each in China and the US in the same year.
He pitched for taking the higher education, including technical education, to the doorstep of people by innovations in the delivery system.
"Our universities, engineering colleges and research and development centres should be the hotbed of innovation, he said, adding quality, affordability, and accessibility should become the mainstay of the country`s higher education system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Sensex firms up 78 points in early trade on F&O expiry
- Piers Morgan pokes fun at India's performance in Rio: Here's how Virender Sehwag SHUT him down
- Raj Thackeray defies SC order, MNS ties Dahi-Handi at 49 feet in Thane
- Fashion for me is feeling glamorous, confident: Shraddha Kapoor
- Jio does Apple, people throng Reliance Stores for free 4G test SIM