INLD protests exploitation of shelter home inmates
Rohtak: Haryana`s main opposition party Indian National Lok Dal on Wednesday held a demonstration here to protest alleged sexual, mental and physical exploitation of inmates at a local shelter home and demanded a judicial probe into complaints in this regard.
Alleging that inmates at `Apna Ghar` shelter home in town were being sexually abused and exploited as bonded labourers, INLD`s spokesman for Haryana KC Bangar said, Congress government has failed to protect the rights of children, girls and women in the state.
At the end of the demonstration, the party submitted a memorandum to Haryana Governor, demanding a judicial probe into the matter and removal of Bhupinder Singh Hooda as Chief Minister on moral grounds.
"There has been a significant rise in cases related to exploitation of children, girls and women in the state during the Congress regime, therefore we have raised the demand for removal of Bhupinder Singh Hooda from the post of Chief Minister," Bangar said.
The INLD members assembled at Medical Chowk and held a march towards the Mini Secretariat.
On Tuesday, all bank accounts of local NGO Bharat Vikas Sangh were frozen and an audit of the institution initiated after the incident came to light last week.
Previously run by an NGO, `Apna Ghar` shelter home in Shri Nagar area, is now being taken care of by a government-appointed administrator, after the NGO`s in-charge was arrested in the wake of allegations about sexual abuse of inmates at the facility.
The `Apna Ghar` shelter home had landed in a controversy when a team of National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) rescued nearly 120 people, including children, girls and women from the house after carrying out a surprise raid here on the night of May 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city