INLD protests exploitation of shelter home inmates
Rohtak: Haryana`s main opposition party Indian National Lok Dal on Wednesday held a demonstration here to protest alleged sexual, mental and physical exploitation of inmates at a local shelter home and demanded a judicial probe into complaints in this regard.
Alleging that inmates at `Apna Ghar` shelter home in town were being sexually abused and exploited as bonded labourers, INLD`s spokesman for Haryana KC Bangar said, Congress government has failed to protect the rights of children, girls and women in the state.
At the end of the demonstration, the party submitted a memorandum to Haryana Governor, demanding a judicial probe into the matter and removal of Bhupinder Singh Hooda as Chief Minister on moral grounds.
"There has been a significant rise in cases related to exploitation of children, girls and women in the state during the Congress regime, therefore we have raised the demand for removal of Bhupinder Singh Hooda from the post of Chief Minister," Bangar said.
The INLD members assembled at Medical Chowk and held a march towards the Mini Secretariat.
On Tuesday, all bank accounts of local NGO Bharat Vikas Sangh were frozen and an audit of the institution initiated after the incident came to light last week.
Previously run by an NGO, `Apna Ghar` shelter home in Shri Nagar area, is now being taken care of by a government-appointed administrator, after the NGO`s in-charge was arrested in the wake of allegations about sexual abuse of inmates at the facility.
The `Apna Ghar` shelter home had landed in a controversy when a team of National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) rescued nearly 120 people, including children, girls and women from the house after carrying out a surprise raid here on the night of May 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow