IPS officer arrested for taking bribe
Chandigarh: An IPS officer has been arrested by the CBI after he was allegedly caught accepting Rs One lakh in bribe from a junior officer.
Superintendent of Police (City) Deshraj was caught last night while allegedly accepting Rs one lakh as an initial amount of a Rs 25 lakh bribe he had demanded from SHO Anokh Singh, CBI Deputy Inspector General Mahesh Aggarwal said.
According to official sources, a departmental inquiry was pending against the Station House Officer in a case.
As the inquiry was pending with Deshraj, he allegedly promised the SHO that he would "hush up" the probe if he was paid money for it, the sources said.
The SHO informed CBI who laid a trap and caught Deshraj.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days