Jat activists block national highway over reservation
Hisar (Haryana): Jat activists on Sunday blocked the Hisar-Delhi National Highway in Mayyar village here after police "forcibly" carried away five of their members, who were on a fast unto death demanding OBC status for the community.
The members of All India Jat Aarakshan Sangharash Samiti (AIJASS) demanded that all the five protesters who were lifted by police Saturday from the dharna place, should be released from civil hospital.
Additional Deputy Commissioner Ashok Garg, who rushed to the spot, appealed to the activists to end their agitation.
The ADC assured that they would be discharged from the hospital when their condition improved.
Yesterday, police had lifted five agitators sitting on fast-unto death and admitted them to civil hospital here for treatment as their health became deteriorating.
Ram Bhagat Malik, spokesman of the Samiti, announced that their struggle would continue till the acceptance of their demand for 27 per cent reservation in government jobs for the community.
Meanwhile, the Haryana Health Department is closely monitoring the health condition of the five agitators at the civil hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city