Jat agitation leads to Haryana thermal plant closure
Chandigarh: Power generation at the recently-commissioned 1,200 MW Rajiv Gandhi Thermal Power Plant at Khedar in Hisar district of Haryana has been stopped owing to shortage of coal caused by an agitation of the Jat community.
Haryana`s Power Minister Mahender Pratap Singh said on Thursday that the power generation has been stopped due to lack of coal for the thermal plant.
Railway wagons carrying coal for the thermal plant have not been able to reach it as the Jat community agitators, who are pressing for reservation under the OBC quota, have blocked railway traffic at various places in Haryana, especially in Hisar district.
Singh on Thursday appealed to the agitators demanding reservation not to block rail tracks in the state as it has blocked supply of coal to the power generation plants.
"Unit-I of the prestigious 1,200 MW Rajiv Gandhi Thermal Power Plant, Khedar in district Hisar has already been closed for want of coal. The blockade of rail tracks has also caused hardship to the passengers," the minister said here.
He said the agitators should understand that any interruption in supply of coal would lead to closure of all power generation plants.
He said they should understand that their act would affect electricity supply, especially at a time when children are preparing for their final examinations.
Singh said the Haryana government has already forwarded the demands of the protesters to the union government.
The Jat community agitators have been protesting in some parts of the state for the last 3-4 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof