Jat agitation: Protestors serve ultimatum
Hisar (Haryana): The agitating Jats,
demanding job quota for them, today served an ultimatum asking
Haryana government to unconditionally release by tomorrow all
those who had been taken into custody during the movement and
threatened to intensify their stir if the demand was not met.
"The government should order release of all those Jat
protesters who had been taken into custody two days ago,"
Jitender Chattar of All India Jat Aarakshan Sangarsh Samiti
He said they will give the government time till tomorrow
afternoon to act after which they will intensify their stir
and block all the roads to Delhi and other parts besides
launching their agitation in other parts of the country.
Hisar, located 155 km from the national capital, had
been virtually come under a siege of the protesters demanding
Meanwhile, Delhi-Hisar highway which had remained blocked
yesterday opened to road traffic.
The district administration had yesterday ordered
closure of all educational institutions for three days.
Security forces had conducted a flag march here last
evening as Hisar remained on the boil. Uneasy calm prevailed
in the district today.
At Garhi village near here, mobs smashed window panes of
trucks triggering a major jam on national highway last
evening. The protesters had placed tree trunks on roads
at some places.
Jats are seeking reservation in government jobs for the
community in OBC category and have accused Haryana Chief
Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda of "going back on promises" in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid