Jat stir: Centre calls meeting of Chief Secys, DGPs of UP, Haryana, Raj
New Delhi: The Centre has called a
meeting of top civil and police officers of Uttar Pradesh,
Haryana and Rajasthan on Saturday to discuss ways to deal with
the agitation by Jats demanding quota in central government
Home Secretary Gopal K Pillai will review the law and
order situation of three states with the chief secretaries and
directors general of police, official sources said today.
The meeting has been convened following yesterday`s
Supreme Court directive to the state governments to ensure
free flow of water and other essential items like milk, dairy
products and vegetables to the national capital.
The Home Secretary will take stock of the security
situation, including the needs of the state, and formulate
plans so that train and road traffic and flow of essential
commodities were not disrupted by the Jat agitation.
Two rounds of talks between Home Minister P
Chidambaram and Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Mukul
Wasnik and the Jat leaders have failed to evolve an amicable
solution to the demands of the protesters.
Though the fortnight-long blockade on railway tracks
in Uttar Pradesh was withdrawn by the agitators following an
order of the Allahabad High Court, blockade on railway tracks
in Haryana continues to affect train traffic.
The apex court had yesterday taken strong exception to
Uttar Pradesh and Haryana Chief Ministers` "support" to Jat
stir for quota in central jobs and asked the two states and
Rajasthan to ensure that the supply of water and other
essential commodities to Delhi is not affected.
The Punjab and Haryana High Court too had directed the
Haryana Government to immediately get the rail tracks and
other blockades cleared to restore normal movement of trains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre