Jat stir: HC directs Haryana govt to inform about steps taken
Chandigarh: With the Jat agitation severely
affecting rail traffic in parts of north India, the Punjab and
Haryana High Court today directed the Haryana government to
inform it by Thursday about the steps taken to restore normal
movement of trains.
The direction of the division bench of the High Court
headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi came on a PIL filed by a
The bench also asked Haryana authorities to inform the
court about the results achieved on the action taken by them
to normalise the rail traffic.
With the disruption in the supply of coal, the Rajiv
Gandhi Thermal Power Plant, Khedar, Hisar has been closed.
The Union Government`s Crisis Management Group (CMG) had
yesterday reviewed the situation arising out of the continuous
agitation by Jats for job quota.
The ongoing over fortnight-long stir by Jats has badly
affected the rail traffic, forcing the Northern Railways to
cancel several trains and divert routes of many others.
The Jats are demanding quota for the community in
government jobs under OBC category.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city