Jats agitation ends; Road, rail traffic resumes

Last Updated: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 22:07

Hisar (Har): Jat protesters who are demanding
reservation in government jobs under OBC quota today ended
their 23-day-long agitation following an assurance from Chief
Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda.

After marathon talks, Khap (caste council) leaders and
members of All-India Jat Aarakshan Sangarsh Samiti, which is
spearheading the stir, jointly announced "suspension" of the
agitation till September 13 and agreed to cremate the body of
the youth who was killed in clashes between protesters and
security forces on March 6.

"Since Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda has given
assurance to Sarv-Khap leaders regarding the community`s OBC
status demand, we have decided to suspend the stir," Mahendar
Singh Punia, State General Secretary of the Samiti, told
reporters.

The standoff between the government and agitators had
shown signs of ending yesterday following the release of more
than 100 protesters, who were arrested on charges of arson and
rioting during the agitation.
The protesters had refused to cremate the body of Sandeep
and had placed it near the rail tracks till all those arrested
had been released.

As the body was taken to village Mayyar, where Sandeep`s
younger brother lit the pyre, blockades were lifted from all
roads including Hisar-Delhi National Highway.

Railway tracks were also cleared by the protesters
bringing to an end the over three-week long stir which had
caused inconvenience to the commuters in the district, 155 kms
from the nation capital.

In the next six months, Haryana`s Backward Classes
Commission is expected to submit its report to the state
government, which is why the Jats have given the government
September 13 as the deadline, a Jat leader said.
PTI



First Published: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 22:07

comments powered by Disqus