Jats demand job reservation
Jind (Haryana): A Mahapanchayat of different Khaps or caste councils today threatened to launch an massive stir if the demand that Jats be given reservation in government jobs is not met by December 15.
The Jats raised the demand at a Mahapanchayat organised at Danoda village in Jind district and presided over by Nafe Singh Nain, President of Binain Khap.
Representations of about 90 Khaps and representatives of various Jat organisations participated in the Mahapanchayat.
The Mahapanchayat by a resolution demanded that Jats be given reservation in government jobs by December 15.
It served ultimatum to the Union and state governments warning that if the reservation was not implemented by December 15, the Mahapanchayat will launch a massive stir and the government would be responsible for the consequences of the agitation.
The Mahapanchayat asked the Union government to give reservation to Jats in other states also and demanded that community members should be appointed as Judges in Supreme Court and High Courts.
The Mahapanchayat criticised the government`s move to enact laws against Khaps and warned the government that Khaps would not tolerate such laws.
Speaking on the occasion, Nafe Singh Nain said the main occupation of Jat community is agriculture and because of small land holdings, agriculture is now not a profitable occupation and economic position of the Jats has deteriorated.
He said without reservation Jats are not getting jobs and so reservation is must for the community.
Dharampal Chhot, State President of Akhil Bhartiya Jat Aarakshan Sanghrash Samiti, said Jats have been agitating for the last five years for getting reservation in jobs, but the government has taken no action to accept their "genuine demand".
He urged the government to accept their demand without further delay.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive