JBT scam: 6 accused get interim bail on medical grounds
New Delhi: Two days after former Haryana Chief Minister Om Prakash Chautala got the relief, the Delhi High Court on Thursday granted interim bail on health grounds to six jailed co-convicts of the 2000 teachers` recruitment scam.
Chautala was earlier granted interim bail for six weeks for undergoing pacemaker implant surgery at a private hospital in Gurgaon here.
Justice Siddharth Mridul, who is hearing appeals of 55 persons against their convictions and varying jail terms in the case, today granted bail to six co-convicts for six weeks on furnishing of a personal bond of Rs 25,000 along with two sureties of like amount before the trial court.
The convicts, who have been granted bail, include Madan Lal Kalra, Krishna Gupta, Jeet Ram Khokhar, Kailash Kaushik, Kanta Sharma and Abhilash Kaur.
The court, meanwhile, also extended by six more weeks the interim bail of convict Raksha Jindal in the case.
It has also asked the Medical Superintendent of jail to file medical reports of five other convicts who have sought interim bail on health grounds.
78-year-old Chautala, chief of Indian National Lok Dal (INLD), along with 54 others, is serving jail term in the 2000 Junior Basic Trained (JBT) Teachers recruitment scam.
On January 22, the trial court had convicted and sentenced Chautala and nine others, including his son Ajay Chautala, to 10 years jail term for illegally recruiting 3,206 junior teachers in 2000.
Among other convicts, 44 have been sentenced to four years in jail and one was sentenced to a five-year jail term in the case.
All of them were held guilty of cheating, forgery, using fake documents as genuine, conspiracy under the IPC and for abusing their official position under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling