Kanda seeks interim bail to attend assembly session
New Delhi: Former Haryana Minister Gopal Kanda, an accused in a former airhostess suicide case, Wednesday sought interim bail from a Delhi court contending that he would attend state assembly session and discharge his obligation towards his constituency.
Additional Sessions Judge M C Gupta reserved his order on Kanda`s plea after hearing arguments from his counsel and the prosecution.
The Delhi Police also moved an application for reducing the period of interim bail granted to Kanda`s co-accused Aruna Chadha.
Aruna was granted interim bail till November 11 on Monday for attending religious and family events.
Earlier during the arguments, Kanda`s counsel senior advocate Ramesh Gupta said "he (Kanda) is an MLA from Haryana and he wants to attend the assembly session for which he is seeking interim bail.
"He is an MLA from Sirsa which is a big constituency. He has to perform many obligations and welfare activities for his people. Funds for his constituency are lying unutiliszed. Public is suffering, in the end."
The counsel also said Kanda has been in custody for over 14 months now and the police investigation is complete and there is nothing left for the police to apprehend that he might hamper the case.
Additional Public Prosecutor Rajiv Mohan opposed his plea for interim bail saying "there is reasonable apprehension of his tampering with the evidence."
"In February 2013, there was a session of Haryana assembly. When Kanda did not feel the need to seek bail for attending it, why is he seeking interim bail for this session? There is reasonable apprehension of him tampering with the evidence."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- First Minister Nicola Sturgeon plans EU future for Scotland after Brexit
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal