Khap imposes ban on paddy cultivation in Haryana
Jhajjar (Haryana): A khap panchayat in Jhajjar has
ordered a ban on paddy cultivation in 36 villages of Haryana`s
Salhavaas region to prevent "desertification of land".
"Condition of these villages` land, which is already
facing high level ground water, worsens during the rainy
season every year owing to failure of the district authorities
in draining out stagnant water from there in time," Jakhar
Khap Panchayat secretary Mehar Singh said.
"The khap, therefore, pronounced the verdict to avoid a
flood-like situation and prevent desertification," he said,
adding that farmers will have to face social boycott and a
penalty of Rs 5,100 in case of the order violation.
A 36-member monitoring committee (one representative of
each village of the panchayat) has been constituted to ensure
efficient execution of the order, he said.
"No one from 36 villages has so far raised any objection
over the decision and all representatives of the villages have
supported the decision," he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery