Khap imposes ban on paddy cultivation in Haryana
Jhajjar (Haryana): A khap panchayat in Jhajjar has
ordered a ban on paddy cultivation in 36 villages of Haryana`s
Salhavaas region to prevent "desertification of land".
"Condition of these villages` land, which is already
facing high level ground water, worsens during the rainy
season every year owing to failure of the district authorities
in draining out stagnant water from there in time," Jakhar
Khap Panchayat secretary Mehar Singh said.
"The khap, therefore, pronounced the verdict to avoid a
flood-like situation and prevent desertification," he said,
adding that farmers will have to face social boycott and a
penalty of Rs 5,100 in case of the order violation.
A 36-member monitoring committee (one representative of
each village of the panchayat) has been constituted to ensure
efficient execution of the order, he said.
"No one from 36 villages has so far raised any objection
over the decision and all representatives of the villages have
supported the decision," he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’