Khap imposes ban on paddy cultivation in Haryana
Jhajjar (Haryana): A khap panchayat in Jhajjar has
ordered a ban on paddy cultivation in 36 villages of Haryana`s
Salhavaas region to prevent "desertification of land".
"Condition of these villages` land, which is already
facing high level ground water, worsens during the rainy
season every year owing to failure of the district authorities
in draining out stagnant water from there in time," Jakhar
Khap Panchayat secretary Mehar Singh said.
"The khap, therefore, pronounced the verdict to avoid a
flood-like situation and prevent desertification," he said,
adding that farmers will have to face social boycott and a
penalty of Rs 5,100 in case of the order violation.
A 36-member monitoring committee (one representative of
each village of the panchayat) has been constituted to ensure
efficient execution of the order, he said.
"No one from 36 villages has so far raised any objection
over the decision and all representatives of the villages have
supported the decision," he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!