Khap panchayats set up panel to protect marriage tradition
Jind: Khap Panchayats, which face flak from
all quarters for denouncing marriages among same clan couples,
have decided to set up a committee here to protect marriage
Representatives of 20 Khap Panchayats, who held a meeting
at Uchana town in the district yesterday, decided to set up
`Sarv Jatiya Samaj Suraksha Manch` to protect tradition of
These panchayats are known for opposing same Gotra
marriages and awarding death sentences to those who break the
In the meeting, it was also decided to oppose politicos
who try to break old tradition of marriages.
Besides, the meeting decided to raise funds for seven
persons sentenced to death for killing a couple on the diktats
of a self-styled community panchayat for marrying against
The seven were sentenced to death last month by a court
The panchayat also demanded that Hindu marriage Act be
amended to prevent marriages in the same Gotra.
Khap leaders said that a Maha Khap Panchayat will be held
at Kurukshetra on April 13 to solve Khap related issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement