Khap panchayats set up panel to protect marriage tradition
Jind: Khap Panchayats, which face flak from
all quarters for denouncing marriages among same clan couples,
have decided to set up a committee here to protect marriage
Representatives of 20 Khap Panchayats, who held a meeting
at Uchana town in the district yesterday, decided to set up
`Sarv Jatiya Samaj Suraksha Manch` to protect tradition of
These panchayats are known for opposing same Gotra
marriages and awarding death sentences to those who break the
In the meeting, it was also decided to oppose politicos
who try to break old tradition of marriages.
Besides, the meeting decided to raise funds for seven
persons sentenced to death for killing a couple on the diktats
of a self-styled community panchayat for marrying against
The seven were sentenced to death last month by a court
The panchayat also demanded that Hindu marriage Act be
amended to prevent marriages in the same Gotra.
Khap leaders said that a Maha Khap Panchayat will be held
at Kurukshetra on April 13 to solve Khap related issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy?
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy? - Part II
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- 'Munich gunman planned shooting for a year, chose victims randomly'
- Unlikely sporting star Chris Froome wins third Tour de France, seals place amongst greats
- One dead, two injured in Germany machete attack: Police
- Shoulder injury forces Serena Williams out of Montreal
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test: Hosts lead by 489 at 3rd day close