Kuldeep Bishnoi welcomes jail term for Chautala
New Delhi: Haryana Janhit Congress chief Kuldeep Bishnoi on Tuesday welcomed a Delhi court`s verdict of awarding a 10-year jail term to former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala and others in connection with the JBT teacher recruitment case.
“I welcome the decision given by the court. It is a historical decision. It will impact on the future politics of the country,” Bishnoi said.
“After this, any politician will think ten times before doing corruption,” he added.
Earlier on Tuesday, a Delhi court sentenced Om Prakash Chautala and his son Ajay to ten years imprisonment in connection with the illegal recruitment of Junior Basic Trained (JBT) teachers.
The court has also barred the father and son duo from taking part or contesting elections.
IAS officers Sanjiv Kumar and Vidya Dhar, the other co-accused, have also been given jail sentences of ten years each by the court.
Chautala, his son Ajay and 53 others were convicted by a Delhi court for illegal hiring of over 3,000 teachers in the teachers recruitment scam.
The teachers were recruited in 1999-2000 during Chautala`s tenure. The CBI filed its first chargesheet in 2006.
It was alleged that Rs three to four lakhs were paid as bribe for selection of each of the 3,032 candidates.
Just after the sentence was pronounced, thousands of supporters of Chautalas gathered outside the Rohini court, clashed with policemen.
Police tried to disperse the slogan shouting crowds, and also closed the main gates of the premises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video