Chandigarh: Having delayed for more than five years, the 136-km long Kundli-Manesar-Palwal (KMP) Expressway project will be ready within next three years, Haryana government said on Monday.
"Construction work on the (KMP) Expressway, slated to pass through Sonepat, Jhajjar, Gurgaon, Mewat and Palwal districts, has been put on fast track with the Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar giving his approval for resuming work on the project in two phases Manesar-Palwal and Manesar-Kundli.
"While the Manesar-Palwal section would be completed in nine months, the Manesar-Kundli section in two years," said a spokesman of Haryana State Industrial and Infrastructural Development Corporation (HSIIDC).
HSIIDC is the executing agency of the development of this Expressway.
Following the Supreme Court order on January 30, 2015, Haryana government has initiated the process of inviting bids on Built-Operate-Transfer (BOT) basis for the completion of balance work on this much-delayed project.
To implement the apex court's order in right earnest, bids have already been invited on BOT basis for the entire stretch. Any interested project proponent can submit the bids till March 20, 2015, he said.
The Court had directed the state government to award the contract for the project to new concessionaire within two months time and the new concessionaire shall commence the work within one month time thereafter.
The ambitious KMP expressway project has not seen light of the day as the concessionaire-consortium of DS Constructions and Apollo Enterprises could not complete this project within stipulated time despite being given several deadlines.
Launched with much fanfare in year 2006, this project was to be commissioned by July 2009. So far, 68 per cent work on this project has been completed.
The completion of this project would not only provide high speed link to the northern Haryana with its southern districts like Gurgaon, Faridabad and Palwal but also de-congest National Capital Territory (NCT) of Delhi as the traffic from the northern parts of the country destined to other regions need not pass through NCT of Delhi, thus reducing pollution tremendously.
He said that earlier concessionaire not only failed to complete the work in time but also raised unjustified claims which led to inordinate delay in the project.
"But now, the state government has decided to complete this project in a time bound manner. The new concessionaire would commence the work within one month after getting the contract," he said.
HSIIDC had already issued a notice to the bankers to substitute the concessionaire failing which the earlier contract would stand terminated on account of event of default, he said.