Madina murders: Dalits start indefinite `dharna` at Rohtak
Rohtak: People belonging to Dalit community today sat on indefinite `dharna` at Ambedkar Chowk outside local Congress office here, protesting against the "police inaction" in the murder of two youths of their community.
Sudhir (10) and Vikram (22) were shot dead allegedly by some youths of "upper caste" in Madina village of Meham sub-division on March 30.
The district authorities did not allow the protesters to erect a tent on the `dharna` site saying that they don`t have permission for it.
The protesters are demanding immediate arrest of all those who have been booked in connection with the killings besides Rs 25 lakh compensation and a government job each to kin of the deceased.
They have also threatened that they would `gherao` the residences of UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Delhi on April 14 if their demands are not met by then.
Dalits from across the state will participate in this `gherao` to mount pressure on the union leaders, besides apprising them of the plight of SCs in Haryana, they said.
Top officials of district police and administrative authorities have tried to pacify the Dalits saying that sincere efforts are being made to nab the accused and they will be arrested soon.
However, the protesters are adamant on their demands.
"We have arrested five of the accused and simultaneous raids are being carried out to nab the others," a senior police official said.
Meanwhile, Sansaar Singh, father of Suudhir, said in a press release, "We cannot reside in the village till the accused are arrested. We are entirely scared as people of the upper caste are still threatening our kin of dire consequences."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony