Madina murders: Dalits start indefinite `dharna` at Rohtak
Rohtak: People belonging to Dalit community today sat on indefinite `dharna` at Ambedkar Chowk outside local Congress office here, protesting against the "police inaction" in the murder of two youths of their community.
Sudhir (10) and Vikram (22) were shot dead allegedly by some youths of "upper caste" in Madina village of Meham sub-division on March 30.
The district authorities did not allow the protesters to erect a tent on the `dharna` site saying that they don`t have permission for it.
The protesters are demanding immediate arrest of all those who have been booked in connection with the killings besides Rs 25 lakh compensation and a government job each to kin of the deceased.
They have also threatened that they would `gherao` the residences of UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Delhi on April 14 if their demands are not met by then.
Dalits from across the state will participate in this `gherao` to mount pressure on the union leaders, besides apprising them of the plight of SCs in Haryana, they said.
Top officials of district police and administrative authorities have tried to pacify the Dalits saying that sincere efforts are being made to nab the accused and they will be arrested soon.
However, the protesters are adamant on their demands.
"We have arrested five of the accused and simultaneous raids are being carried out to nab the others," a senior police official said.
Meanwhile, Sansaar Singh, father of Suudhir, said in a press release, "We cannot reside in the village till the accused are arrested. We are entirely scared as people of the upper caste are still threatening our kin of dire consequences."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends