Mirchpur case: Court raps Haryana police
New Delhi: The handling of Mirchpur Dalits
killing incident by Haryana police on Saturday came in for sharp
criticism from a Delhi court which held that the possibility
of implication of innocent persons in the sensational case
under "political pressure" cannot be ruled out.
"The possibility of false implication of many of the
accused cannot be ruled out on account of political pressure
only to work out the present case," Additional Sessions Judge
(ASJ) Kamini Lau said.
The court acquitted 82 of the 97 accused in the case
including Vinod K Kajal, the SHO of Narnaud Police station in
Hissar district, saying he did not have the ultimate power
to take decisions.
"The manner in which the whole thing (incident) was
handled was improper. If he goes in, then some senior
officials will also go," the ASJ said.
Though the "possibility of extraneous interference cannot
be ruled out" in the case, the court said it has acquitted
Kajal because neither negligence against him has been proved
nor the charge of not performing his duties.
The court orally said the fact that another official of
the Haryana government could not be held accountable for his
"negligence" because of the legal hurdle that a person
belonging to SC/ST category cannot be booked under the SC/ST
(Prevention of Atrocities) Act.
"It is related to office not caste," the judge said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray