Mirchpur case: Protest by Khap panchayats continues
Jind (Haryana): Talks between Mirchpur
residents and Haryana Power Minister Randeep Surjewala on Friday
failed to resolve the seven-day protest blockade with the
Khaps remaining firm on their demand for a fresh probe into
the killing of two Dalits last year.
The meeting was held between the representatives of Maha
Khap Panchayat and Surjewala and former Union deputy minister
After the meeting, though the Khap representatives
seemed inclined to accept the government`s proposal for a CBI
probe, the protesters rejected it.
Convenor of the Khap Suresh Koth said efforts were on
to convince the protesters.
The protesters claimed that the state government was not
taking any step on their demand for a fresh probe on the plea
that the matter was before the Supreme Court.
The villagers, who are on a sit-in dharna at Julani
village near Jind railway station, also blocked roads to
Gohana in Sonipat district, and Bhiwani and Hansi in Hissar
Members of the pre-dominant Jat community have been
sitting on the tracks at Julani village near Jind railway
station since January 15, disrupting railway traffic on the
Jind-Jakhal section of the Delhi-Ferozepur route.
Police personnel have been deployed in strength to
ensure maintenance of peace.
The villagers are protesting against the booking of 98
members of their community in the case relating to the killing
of 70-year-old Dalit Tara Chand and his 17-year-old daughter
Suman in April last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav told Mulayam Singh's brother Shivpal that he would float new party?
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- At 500 kilograms, is this 36-year-old the world's heaviest woman?
- Crisis in Samajwadi Party: 'Helicopter kya tumhare baap ka hai?' - Why Shivpal Yadav asked this to a man in audience