Mirchpur Dalits meet SC team, refuse to return to village
Hisar: Dalits from Mirchpur village who have refused to return to their homes after an attack on them by the majority community there today met a Supreme Court- appointed team who are here to look into their demands.
The Mirchpur dalits have been staying at Tanwar Farmhouse here for the last three years after an attack on them in their village in April 2010.
They met Sessions Judge Ajay Jain and Shamim Modi from the Tata Institute of Social Sciences, who constitute the SC team, with a charter of demands.
But after the SC team asked them to take the same to District Development and Panchayat Officer Sumit Kumar, they submitted their charter at the Deputy Commissioner`s office.
The villagers who have sought for a place for resettlement also requested for good quality tents, daily supply of drinking water and clothes and stationery for their children to go to school.
Among other things, they also demanded power supply, LPG connections and ration cards.
The SC-appointed team had also visited Mirchpur yesterday.
The villagers told the team that under no condition would they return to the village and urged government to take steps to rehabilitate them elsewhere.
The team will submit its report to SC within a month, Modi, meanwhile, said.
The majority community in Mirchpur had torched Balmiki houses in the village on April 21, 2010 in an act which had claimed two lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened