Mirchpur killing: SC seeks response on relief
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday sought a response from Haryana government on giving a rehabilitation package to 125 Dalits who were forced to leave their village after the killing of a 70-year-old Dalit man and his physically-challenged daughter were killed last year.
A bench headed by Justice G S Singhvi asked the state
government to respond by Friday on the package.
The court was hearing a PIL seeking monetary assistance
for the Dalits who fled from Mirchpur village after they were
attacked by pre-dominant Jat community there.
Advocate Colin Gonsalves, appearing for the petitioner,
pleaded with the court that the state government should
relocate them and provide Rs ten thousand to each per month
for a reasonable period.
The incident took place on April 21 last year when the
accused resorted to rioting and attacked the houses of people
of Dalit community as a pet dog of a Dalit had barked at a
group of Jats two days before when they were passing
through the colony.
They got enraged when a Dalit boy objected to hurling of
stones by Jat youths at the dog, it said, adding later it led
to the killings of Tara Chand and his physically-
challenged teenage daughter.
The trial court has convicted 15 people in the case, out
of which three persons were sentenced to life imprisonment on
The 15 convicts, belonging to the Jat community, were
held guilty for setting ablaze Tara Chand`s house, which
caused the deaths of two persons.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!