Mirchpur killings: Court orders inquiry into witness protection
New Delhi: Irked over Haryana police`s
reluctance to comply with its orders to provide protection to
the witnesses of Mirchpur dalit killing case, a Delhi court
has directed the Inspector General (IG) of police of Hisar
range to conduct an inquiry into the matter.
"I hereby direct that an immediate inquiry be conducted
by the Inspector General of Police, Hisar Range, with regard
to the default committed at the level of the Haryana Police
with regard to the non compliance of the directions issued by
the court," Additional Sessions Judge Kamini Lau said.
The court also directed the IG to inform it about the
action taken on erring police officials within one week.
The court`s order came after it was informed that some
of the witnesses had come on their own before it for
deposition and not under Haryana police`s protection.
The court had earlier issued directions to the Delhi and
Haryana government to ensure protection of witnesses and
victims of the violence. The court had also directed to house
the witnesses at a place allotted by Delhi government for them
till the completion of their examination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?