Mirchpur residents intensify protest, 121 khaps extend support
Jind: Residents of Mirchpur and adjoining
villages, demanding a fresh probe into the killing of two
Dalits in April last year, have said that they would intensify
their ongoing agitation by staging protests at 50 more places
and claimed that 121 khaps (self-styled panchayats) in the
state have extended their support to their protest.
The protest, which entered its seventh consecutive day
on Friday, has disrupted rail and road traffic in the state.
The protesters are likely to stage protest at 50 different
places in the state during the day, disrupting rail and road
traffic, their spokesman Suresh Koth said.
Members of the pre-dominant Jat community have been
sitting on the tracks at Julani village near Jind railway
station since January 15, due to which railway traffic on the
Jind-Jakhal section of the Delhi-Ferozepur route has been
Koth had claimed that 121 khaps (self-styled
panchayats) in the state have extended their support to the
The protesters rued that the state government was
misleading the protesters by not taking any action on their
demand for a fresh probe on the plea that the matter was
before the Supreme Court.
Meanwhile, police personnel have been deployed in
strength to ensure peace.
After the upper-caste villagers began their indefinite
dharna, the call for which was issued by a Jat Mahapanchayat
of 42 khaps, long-route passenger and goods trains have been
diverted via other routes, including Jakhal, while some local
passenger trains have been cancelled.
The villagers are protesting the booking of 98 members
of their upper-caste community in the case relating to the
killing of 70-year-old Dalit Tara Chand and his 17-year-old
daughter Suman in April last year.
A Delhi court had on January 9 directed the Haryana
government to move all the 98 accused from Hisar jail to New
Delhi`s Tihar prison following the transfer of their trial to
a special court in Delhi by an order of the Supreme Court on
December 9 last year, after the aggrieved party had approached
the apex court claiming that a fair trial was not possible
within the state.
The protesters are demanding that the probe be held
either at Rohtak or Hisar and the accused be lodged in either
of the two jails.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days