Mob pelts stones as police rescue runaway couple
Ambala (Haryana): Several policemen were injured after a mob pelted stones at the team which had gone to a village here to rescue a runaway couple.
The incident took place on Thursday at Ravi Dass Basti village, police said.
Several police personnel, including ACP Raj Kumar Walia, were injured in the incident, they said, adding that the mob also ransacked the police vehicles.
The couple got married around four months back against the wishes of their families. The village panchayat had also opposed the marriage and banned their entry.
The couple had approached the Punjab and Haryana High Court, which directed the Ambala police to provide security to them.
The couple left the police protection home after staying there for a month and went to an unknown destination, police said.
Last late night they returned to the village. When the girl`s relatives came to know about it, they went to the boy`s house and asked him to handover the girl to them.
After a heated discussion, the boy`s relatives attacked the girl`s family in which her father and three other members were injured, police said.
Following the incident, a police team reached the village to rescue the couple but an angry crowd started pelting stones at the law enforcers, they said.
ACP Raj Kumar Walia and some other police personnel were injured in the incident, they said.
After a night-long effort, the police team finally managed to rescue the couple in the wee hours today.
The couple has been kept in the protection home, police said.
Later DC Shekhar Vidyarthi and DCP Simardeep Singh in a joint press conference said on the complaint of the girl`s father, a case was registered against the boy, his father and a few others.
A case was also registered against several persons for attacking police personnel, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'