Mob pelts stones as police rescue runaway couple
Ambala (Haryana): Several policemen were injured after a mob pelted stones at the team which had gone to a village here to rescue a runaway couple.
The incident took place on Thursday at Ravi Dass Basti village, police said.
Several police personnel, including ACP Raj Kumar Walia, were injured in the incident, they said, adding that the mob also ransacked the police vehicles.
The couple got married around four months back against the wishes of their families. The village panchayat had also opposed the marriage and banned their entry.
The couple had approached the Punjab and Haryana High Court, which directed the Ambala police to provide security to them.
The couple left the police protection home after staying there for a month and went to an unknown destination, police said.
Last late night they returned to the village. When the girl`s relatives came to know about it, they went to the boy`s house and asked him to handover the girl to them.
After a heated discussion, the boy`s relatives attacked the girl`s family in which her father and three other members were injured, police said.
Following the incident, a police team reached the village to rescue the couple but an angry crowd started pelting stones at the law enforcers, they said.
ACP Raj Kumar Walia and some other police personnel were injured in the incident, they said.
After a night-long effort, the police team finally managed to rescue the couple in the wee hours today.
The couple has been kept in the protection home, police said.
Later DC Shekhar Vidyarthi and DCP Simardeep Singh in a joint press conference said on the complaint of the girl`s father, a case was registered against the boy, his father and a few others.
A case was also registered against several persons for attacking police personnel, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends