Molestation case: Former Haryana IG Ahlawat gets interim bail
Chandigarh: Former Haryana Inspector General of Police M S Ahlawat was Tuesday granted interim anticipatory bail by the Punjab and Haryana High Court in a case of alleged molestation of a Yamunanagar-based woman lawyer eight years ago.
Ahlawat has been missing after his anticipatory bail plea was dismissed by a Yamunanagar court on June 16.
Vacation Judge Alok Singh ordered that in the event of Ahlawat`s arrest, he be released on bail and further directed that he should cooperate with the investigations.
He issued notice of motion to the State of Haryana for July 13.
Ahlawat, who was not himself present in the court, was recently booked by the Yamunanagar police under sections 354 (criminal force on woman with intent to outrage modesty), 323 (assault with intent to voluntarily cause hurt) and 506 (criminal intimidation) of the IPC.
As Ahlawat`s bail plea came up before the court, the former Haryana cop`s counsel Ajay Jain argued that the complainant had for the first time levelled allegations in
"The offence are under Section 468 CrPC which provides when the offences are punishable for two years or less than two years then no court can take cognizance of offences beyond a period of three years," he argued.
He further pleaded that no custodial interrogation of Ahlawat was required as only voice samples and specimen handwriting may be needed for which the petitioner was always
"If we take the case of prosecution on face value then no case of 506 of the IPC is made out as there is no allegation of criminal intimidation either in the FIR or in
the complaint prior to the lodging of the FIR," Jain aruged.
He also said that the complainant has "improved the versions and changed stand at different times with regards to the offences punishable under Section 354".
After Ahlawat`s bail plea was dismissed, Haryana Police had issued lookout notice and alerted airports against him to prevent him from fleeing the country. The police had also been searching for him in Haryana, UP and Delhi in his search, but had failed to trace him.
The woman lawyer had earlier this month lodged a complaint with the police, charging Ahlawat with sexually harassing her when he was the Yamunanagar SP in 2002.
She claimed to have come into Ahlawat`s contact when she had approached the Yamunanagar police in May 2002 to lodge a case of dowry harassment against her husband.
The victim alleged that the officer had insisted on meeting her in his camp office and allegedly tried to establish illicit relations with her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in