Molestation case: Retd Haryana IGP Ahlawat`s interim bail extended
Chandigarh: Punjab and Haryana High Court
here on Tuesday adjourned till August 5 the interim bail plea of
former Haryana Inspector General of Police M S Ahlawat, who is
facing charges of molesting a woman lawyer eight years back.
Ahlawat`s lawyer, Ajay Jain, contended before the court
of Justice Jaswant Singh that the retired cop`s custodial
interrogation in the case was not required and that he had
given a specimen of his handwriting in the Court of Chief
Judicial Magistrate at Yamunanagar recently.
Jain also submitted before the court that Ahlawat`s voice
sample would be taken by Forensic Sciences Laboratory at
Earlier, on June 16, Ahlawat`s bail plea in the case had
been dismissed by a Yamunanagar court.
The IGP later moved the High Court, whose Vacation Judge
Alok Singh on June 22 had ordered that in the event of
Ahlawat`s arrest, he be released on bail and had further
directed the former police officer that he should cooperate
with the investigations.
Justice Alok Singh had granted him interim bail till
Ahlawat was last month booked by the Yamunanagar police
under sections 354 (criminal force on woman with intent to
outrage modesty), 323 (assault with intent to voluntarily
cause hurt) and 506 (criminal intimidation) of the IPC.
After Ahlawat`s bail plea was dismissed by the
Yamunanagar Court, Haryana Police had issued a lookout notice
and alerted airports against him to prevent him from fleeing
the country. The police had also been searching for the
"missing" cop in Haryana, UP and Delhi in his search, but had
failed to trace him.
The woman lawyer had last month month lodged a
complaint with the police, charging Ahlawat with sexually
harassing her when he was the Yamunanagar SP in 2002.
She claimed to have come into Ahlawat`s contact when
she had approached the Yamunanagar police in May 2002 to lodge
a case of dowry harassment against her husband.
The victim alleged that the officer had insisted on
meeting her in his camp office and allegedly tried to
establish illicit relations with her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!