Murder charge framed against kidney racket accused
Ambala: A CBI court here today framed
charges, including that of murder, against the kingpin of
kidney transplantation racket Amit Kumar and eight others,
paving the way for start of trial against them.
All the 9 accused, including Amit, his brother Dr Jeevan,
Dr Upender, Dr K K Aggarwal, Dr Surge, Linda, Jagdesh,
Gyasudeen and Manoj were present in the court of special judge
A S Narang.
The court framed the charges against Amit under section
307 (attempt to murder), 342 (wrongfully restraining any
person), 326 (voluntarily causing grievous hurt by dangerous
weapons or means), 417 (cheating), 506 (criminal intimidation)
and section 19-20 of Transplantation of Human Organ Act 1994.
The charges were framed against other accused under
CBI in its chargesheet filed on April 29, 2008, had said
the accused lured unsuspecting people to a hospital at Gurgaon
and other places where their kidneys were removed and sold at
higher prices to needy people, including patients from abroad.
The chargesheet said the cases for removing kidneys were
also registered against Amit and his brother Jeevan in
Rajasthan, Maharashtra and several other states.
They duped around 500 people, mostly from the
underprivileged section of society, into donating their
Amit was arrested from Chitwan along the border with
Nepal in February 2007. One of the accused--nurse Linda--was
granted bail by the court while the other 8 accused, including
Amit and his brother, are lodged in Ambala Jail since 2008.
The CBI court has fixed September 30 for recording of the
The CBI chargesheet has submitted a list of 236 witnesses
and 130 medical equipments which were taken into possession
from the nursing home of Amit in Gurgaon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Twelve people killed in American University attack: Afghan police
- A Flying Jatt tweet review: First day first show
- Xiaomi MIUI 8 ROM starts rolling out: Know which phones in India will get the update
- Denied help by hospital authorities, Odisha man walks 10-km carrying wife's dead body; WATCH
- Salman Khan's fan trolled, criticised Yogeshwar Dutt after he was out of Olympics. Here's his FITTING reply