Murder charge framed against kidney racket accused
Ambala: A CBI court here today framed
charges, including that of murder, against the kingpin of
kidney transplantation racket Amit Kumar and eight others,
paving the way for start of trial against them.
All the 9 accused, including Amit, his brother Dr Jeevan,
Dr Upender, Dr K K Aggarwal, Dr Surge, Linda, Jagdesh,
Gyasudeen and Manoj were present in the court of special judge
A S Narang.
The court framed the charges against Amit under section
307 (attempt to murder), 342 (wrongfully restraining any
person), 326 (voluntarily causing grievous hurt by dangerous
weapons or means), 417 (cheating), 506 (criminal intimidation)
and section 19-20 of Transplantation of Human Organ Act 1994.
The charges were framed against other accused under
CBI in its chargesheet filed on April 29, 2008, had said
the accused lured unsuspecting people to a hospital at Gurgaon
and other places where their kidneys were removed and sold at
higher prices to needy people, including patients from abroad.
The chargesheet said the cases for removing kidneys were
also registered against Amit and his brother Jeevan in
Rajasthan, Maharashtra and several other states.
They duped around 500 people, mostly from the
underprivileged section of society, into donating their
Amit was arrested from Chitwan along the border with
Nepal in February 2007. One of the accused--nurse Linda--was
granted bail by the court while the other 8 accused, including
Amit and his brother, are lodged in Ambala Jail since 2008.
The CBI court has fixed September 30 for recording of the
The CBI chargesheet has submitted a list of 236 witnesses
and 130 medical equipments which were taken into possession
from the nursing home of Amit in Gurgaon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday