National SC Commission pulls up Haryana cops in youth death case
Chandigarh: The National Commission for Scheduled Castes (NCSC) on Monday pulled up the Haryana police and sought an action taken report within a fortnight on the recent death of a Dalit youth in Ambala district.
Haryana Director General of Police S N Vashisht and top brass of the civil administration today met NCSC vice-chairman Raj Kumar Verka here.
"We were told that the police chowki in-charge has been arrested and murder charge has been slapped," Verka said after meeting the police and administrative officials.
He said the commission has recommended a compensation of Rs 20 lakh to the next of the kin of the deceased from the Haryana government and also a job to a member of the family.
The DGP said they had given details of the incident and the steps taken following it to the commission.
Three Haryana policemen had been booked a week ago for murder and entire staff of a police post in Ambala were placed under suspension after a man, who was taken into custody was found dead near railway tracks in Ambala.
The body of Ram Kumar (24) was recovered on the rail tracks near the Ambala Cantt railway station a week ago.
Deputy Commissioner of Police Vinod Kaushik had earlier said, on a complaint of the deceased`s father, a case under Section 302 (murder), 201 (causing disappearance of evidence of an offence committed), 342 (wrongfully confining any person) of the IPC had been registered against the in-charge of police post No 2 and two other police officials.
The deceased`s father, Babu Ram, who is a labourer, had alleged that the police had taken away his son and another youth Vikram for some investigation.
He had alleged that they were kept in illegal custody as no case was registered against them.
Police, however, had maintained that the youths had escaped from the police custody while the relatives of the deceased dismissed this theory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’