New `Lals` on the block in Haryana
Chandigarh: Haryana, the land famous for its `Lals` and their politics, is now witnessing the electoral fight of the third and fourth generations of their political families. Second generation leaders from newer political families too are in the fray for the 10 Lok Sabha seats from the state.
Through the 1970s, 80s and 90s, Haryana`s politics revolved around the three `Lals` - Devi Lal, Bansi Lal and Bhajan Lal. All three of them became chief ministers of the state more than once.
Devi Lal, who went on to become deputy prime minister of the country and was considered one of the most towering Jat leaders in the state, has his fourth generation entering the fray.
His great-grandson, Dushyant Chautala, 26, is contesting for the Hisar Lok Sabha seat in the April 10 Lok Sabha polls in Haryana.
The young Chautala, in his first electoral outing, is challenging sitting MP and Haryana Janhit Congress (HJC) president Kuldeep Bishnoi, son of former chief minister and prominent non-Jat leader Bhajan Lal, on the Indian National Lok Dal (INLD) ticket. Bishnoi is a second generation leader in his family. His elder brother, Chander Mohan, remained deputy chief minister (2005 to 2008).
Dushyant is the grandson of former chief minister Om Prakash Chautala and son of INLD leader Ajay Chautala. Both his father and grandfather are in Tihar jail, serving a 10-year term, following their conviction in a teachers` recruitment scam. His uncle, Abhay Chautala, is leading the INLD campaign in this election.
Former chief minister Bansi Lal`s granddaughter Shruti Chaudhary, a third generation leader, is seeking re-election to the Bhiwani-Mahendergarh Lok Sabha seat. She is the daughter of Haryana`s excise and taxation minister Kiran Chaudhary. Shruti was elected to the seat in 2009.
Billionaire industrialist Naveen Jindal is again in the fray for the Kurukshetra seat. A sitting Congress MP, he is the son of Haryana minister Savitri Jindal, officially the richest woman in the country as she lords over the huge Jindal empire as its chairperson. Jindal`s father, industrialist O.P. Jindal, was a minister in the Hooda government.
Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda`s son, Deepender Singh Hooda, is seeking re-election from his home turf Rohtak. Deepender is himself not campaigning these days owing to a severe back problem due to which doctors have advised him complete bed-rest. His campaign is being handled by his chief minister father, his mother and wife Shweta.
Deepender is the grandson of former minister Chaudhary Ranbir Singh, father of Bhupinder Singh Hooda.
Some other candidates in the fray this time too have links to politicians in their respective families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India