Newly-wed daughter strangled to death by father
Chandigarh: In a shocking incident, a 17-year-old newlywed girl, who decided not to live with her 50-year-old husband, was allegedly strangled to death by her father and other family members at Kasan village in Kaithal district of Haryana.
Mukesh was married to Jayveer as per a custom that involves an arrangement between two families in which a girl is married off to a man of other family provided the family agrees to marry off one of their girls to a boy of the first family, villagers said.
The families of Inder, a resident of Kasan, and Jayveer of Koth village in Hisar district decided to marry girls of each other`s families.
Under the arrangement, Mukesh was married to Jayveer (50) and Ritika to Inder (Jayveer`s family), an uncle of Mukesh, police said on Tuesday.
However, Mukesh, who returned to her parental house some time back refused to go back to her husband`s house. A panchayat was held on July 2 to persuade Mukesh to go to her in-laws house but she refused.
Mukesh was killed on July 3 by father and other family members, police said.
Meanwhile, police has registered a case of murder against the father of the deceased and uncles Inder Singh and Basu Ram.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- Bigg Boss: When Kriti Sanon played Aishwarya Rai’s part to romance Salman Khan
- Media house attacked over derogatory cartoon in Maharashtra