Newly-wed daughter strangled to death by father
Chandigarh: In a shocking incident, a 17-year-old newlywed girl, who decided not to live with her 50-year-old husband, was allegedly strangled to death by her father and other family members at Kasan village in Kaithal district of Haryana.
Mukesh was married to Jayveer as per a custom that involves an arrangement between two families in which a girl is married off to a man of other family provided the family agrees to marry off one of their girls to a boy of the first family, villagers said.
The families of Inder, a resident of Kasan, and Jayveer of Koth village in Hisar district decided to marry girls of each other`s families.
Under the arrangement, Mukesh was married to Jayveer (50) and Ritika to Inder (Jayveer`s family), an uncle of Mukesh, police said on Tuesday.
However, Mukesh, who returned to her parental house some time back refused to go back to her husband`s house. A panchayat was held on July 2 to persuade Mukesh to go to her in-laws house but she refused.
Mukesh was killed on July 3 by father and other family members, police said.
Meanwhile, police has registered a case of murder against the father of the deceased and uncles Inder Singh and Basu Ram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe