Newly-wed daughter strangled to death by father
Chandigarh: In a shocking incident, a 17-year-old newlywed girl, who decided not to live with her 50-year-old husband, was allegedly strangled to death by her father and other family members at Kasan village in Kaithal district of Haryana.
Mukesh was married to Jayveer as per a custom that involves an arrangement between two families in which a girl is married off to a man of other family provided the family agrees to marry off one of their girls to a boy of the first family, villagers said.
The families of Inder, a resident of Kasan, and Jayveer of Koth village in Hisar district decided to marry girls of each other`s families.
Under the arrangement, Mukesh was married to Jayveer (50) and Ritika to Inder (Jayveer`s family), an uncle of Mukesh, police said on Tuesday.
However, Mukesh, who returned to her parental house some time back refused to go back to her husband`s house. A panchayat was held on July 2 to persuade Mukesh to go to her in-laws house but she refused.
Mukesh was killed on July 3 by father and other family members, police said.
Meanwhile, police has registered a case of murder against the father of the deceased and uncles Inder Singh and Basu Ram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India