NHRC notice to Haryana over girls` harassment
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has sought a response from Haryana`s chief secretary and director general of police over media reports that panchayats of six villages have decided against sending girls to school over fears of sexual harassment.
The NHRC has sought reports from the two officials over the issue within a month.
The commission also directed them to inform it about the incidents of sexual harassment of teenage girls in Haryana during the last three months and, particularly, in the six villages which have been referred to in the press reports, said a statement late Friday.
The NHRC`s direction came after it took note of the media reports that said the panchayats unanimously decided not to send girls to schools from May 13 due to alleged inaction by police and school authorities in ensuring their safety.
According to reports, the decision will affect 400 girl students of Pal, Gadania, Kherki, Nihalawas, Kuksi and Palah villages in Mahendergarh district.
Similar situation arose in the state`s Rewari district a few months ago when around 50 girls were stopped from attending school because of the persistent problem of sexual harassment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her