Nirmal Yadav case: Arguments on framing of charges
Chandigarh: A CBI court here on Friday fixed March 21 for arguments on framing of charges in a bribery case involving retired Punjab and Haryana High Court judge Nirmal Yadav.
Yadav was granted permission from personal exemption today by CBI Judge Vimal Kumar due to "backache".
The prosecuting agency sought time to file reply on an application moved by one of the accused Sanjeev Bansal that no case was made out against him.
Bansal sought from the court that he should be discharged as no case was made against him, defence counsel Vishal Garg Narwana contended.
The CBI sought time to respond to the application moved by the defence.
CBI special prosecutor Anupam Gupta told the court that evidence in the case was sufficient for framing of charges against the accused.
In August 2008, an amount of Rs 15 lakh was delivered at the house of Justice Nirmaljit Kaur in Chandigarh. The matter was reported to the police.
It was stated that the money was actually meant for Justice Nirmal Yadav, which had been sent by Delhi-based hotelier Ravinder Singh Bhasin and had been delivered at the wrong address. The investigation of the case was later handed over to the CBI.
The chargesheet was filed against her by the CBI, a day after Yadav, then posted as a judge of the Uttarakhand High Court, retired.
Earlier, the CBI had filed closure report in the case on the ground that prosecution sanction had been declined, but the special CBI judge had refused to accept the report.
On being approached again by the CBI, the President had granted sanction for prosecution on March 1 last year.
On August 27 last, Yadav had appeared for the first time before the CBI special court hearing the case and was granted bail after furnishing a bond of Rs 25,000.
The others include in the case are advocate Sanjeev Bansal, Delhi-based hotelier Ravinder Singh Bhasin, Chandigarh-based businessman Rajiv Gupta and Nirmal Singh.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory