No arrest in village headman killing
Gurgaon: A day after assailants shot dead a village headman and one of the attackers was burnt to death by villagers here in Haryana, police are yet to make any arrest.
"We are trying to ascertain the identities of the attacker. So far we have not arrested or detained anybody," Gurgaon Joint Commissioner of Police Alok Mittal told a news agency.
The incident took place in Hayatpur village near Manesar Thursday when three to four other men, led by main accused Rakesh, attacked and fired at the village headman, also a Rakesh.
The victims was chased and shot dead.
Villagers caught one of the gunmen, beat him, poured petrol on him and set him on fire.
Amid allegations that police did not prevent the cold-blooded retaliation, Mittal said if any policeman was found negligent, then action would be taken against him.
Mittal said the killing followed a water dispute between two groups.
The Haryana Police have announced a reward of Rs 50,000 for information leading to the arrest of the main accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok