No arrest in village headman killing
Gurgaon: A day after assailants shot dead a village headman and one of the attackers was burnt to death by villagers here in Haryana, police are yet to make any arrest.
"We are trying to ascertain the identities of the attacker. So far we have not arrested or detained anybody," Gurgaon Joint Commissioner of Police Alok Mittal told a news agency.
The incident took place in Hayatpur village near Manesar Thursday when three to four other men, led by main accused Rakesh, attacked and fired at the village headman, also a Rakesh.
The victims was chased and shot dead.
Villagers caught one of the gunmen, beat him, poured petrol on him and set him on fire.
Amid allegations that police did not prevent the cold-blooded retaliation, Mittal said if any policeman was found negligent, then action would be taken against him.
Mittal said the killing followed a water dispute between two groups.
The Haryana Police have announced a reward of Rs 50,000 for information leading to the arrest of the main accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam