No past-midnight New Year eve revelry in Gurgaon pubs, bars
Gurgaon: No pubs or bars will stay open past midnight, or after 11.59 p.m. Tuesday night, an official said, adding that the order passed by District Magistrate Shekhar Vidyarthi would be strictly enforced.
The district magistrate issued the order Monday.
The decision to close down pubs and bars was taken at a meeting late Monday between Gurgaon Police Commissioner Alok Mittal and the district magistrate, who also serves as deputy commissioner.
Both the officers were of the view that prohibitory orders (the implication of Section 144 of the Criminal Procedure Code, dealing with powers to issue orders in urgent cases of nuisance of apprehended danger) needed to be enforced stringently so that mischief-mongers do not succeed in nefarious activities in the name of New Year celebrations.
In his order, the district magistrate had directed owners and managers of bars and pubs not to keep their premises open after the prescribed limit of 12.00 midnight. They should ensure that liquor is not served to underage people, and no employee, waiter or waitress, serving liquor should be below 25 years of age.
Customers must be told to produce identity proof to verify age. The orders also sought that owners and managers of pubs and bars display boards with the sign: "No Liquor will be served to the people under 25 years of age."
In orders issued Nov 6, the district magistrate had said pubs and bars must install CCTV cameras in their premises and at entry and exit points, within 15 days. The CCTV cameras should be of good quality, and footage should be stored for at least 30 days.
The orders issued Monday have come into force with immediate effect, and will remain in force till Jan 5. Violators will be booked under Section 188 of the Indian Penal Code (concerning disobedience of order promulgated by public servant). Fines and penalty would also be imposed.
The deputy commissioner and the commissioner of police have appealed to the people to celebrate New Year with zeal, but without offending anyone or disturbing the peace.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way