Now Dharambir raises banner of revolt in Haryana Congress; quits as CPS
Chandigarh: In another revolt inside the ruling Congress in Haryana, four-time MLA Dharambir Singh on Sunday announced his decision to quit from the post of Chief Parliamentary Secretary in the Bhupinder Singh Hooda government, after being denied party ticket.
Dharambir has been sulking over Congress` decision to re-nominate state Cabinet minister Kiran Chaudhry`s daughter Shruti from Bhiwani-Mahendergarh Lok Sabha constituency, sources said.
He had earlier made it clear that he wanted to contest the upcoming Lok Sabha elections from the seat. Dharambir is representing Sohna seat, which is a part of the Bhiwani-Mahendergarh parliamentary constituency.
Addressing a rally at Bhiwani, Dharambir announced his decision to resign as CPS though he did not mention about his status in the party.
"I know you have been waiting to hear this. I resign and give up my post...," he told the gathering.
Dharambir, MLA from Sohna constituency, became the third senior Haryana Congress leader after Rao Inderjit Singh and Venod Sharma who had raised a banner of revolt.
Rao Inderjit Singh, who was MP from Gurgaon, quit the Congress recently to join the BJP while former Union minister and Ambala MLA Venod Sharma is exploring his options after quitting the party on March 5.
Launching a scathing attack on his own government, Dharambir alleged that Congress was not functioning in a democratic manner.
"The party tickets are alloted by Delhi (party high command), but the candidates are decided by a few people and not common masses. Thus it is not the people`s candidates who get tickets, but few chosen ones are thrust upon the people. This is not democracy," he said.
He also slammed his government for a number of scams including 2G, Coalgate, Railgate etc and alleged that the "lopsided policies" were not helping the common man.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31