OBC docs oppose inclusion of Jats in OBC category; HC seeks Centre`s reply
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Monday sought a response of the Centre and Delhi government on a plea by some doctors from reserved category opposing a notification which has included Jats in other backward classes (OBC).
A bench of acting Chief Justice B D Ahmed and Justice S Mridul also issued notices to and sought responses of National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC), Delhi University and National Board of Examinations.
The doctors, who also fall under OBC category, sought orders restraining the varsity from "considering the `Jat` caste/community candidates as OBCs and giving them benefit under the 27 per cent OBC reserved seats" during counselling and admission to PG medical courses, at least for the current academic session.
They said the counselling and admission process should proceed as per the position existing prior to the March 4, 2014 notification of Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry.
The court, however, declined to grant the interim relief of staying the counselling and admission process, saying the last date for candidates, who cleared the All-India Post Graduate Medical Entrance Examination (AIPGMEE), to apply for a particular medical discipline was March 20.
During the proceedings, Delhi University told the court that the cut-off date to apply for a course was March 20 and counselling and admission process is to take place on March 25 and 26.
In their petition, filed through advocate Shuvodeep Roy, the doctors have contended NBCC had advised the government to reject the proposal for inclusion of `Jats` in the central list of backward classes for NCT of Delhi and such an advice is binding.
They have alleged that "in going ahead with the inclusion of `Jat` caste in central ist of OBCs, the central government has been actuated by extraneous considerations and political pulls and pressures".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?