Offshore casino not a hazard, says Gopal Kanda`s firm
Panaji: Former Haryana home minister Gopal Kanda`s company Golden Globe Hotels, that owns the MV Leela casino ship, has sought joint inspection of the vessel and said that it is not a hazard.
Earlier this month, the Goa government had classified the vessel as a "hazard" and was contemplating auctioning it off.
Officials attached to the Captain of Ports, a state government department looking after river navigation and minor port affairs, said that Kanda`s company had claimed that the vessel was in fine shape and that it was not a danger to traffic in the Mandovi river, off Panaji, where it is currently anchored.
"We had issued the Golden Globe Hotels a notice asking them to tow the boat because the onboard casino is not functional and sometimes there is no one a board the ship. In the monsoon, the river current is rough. It could dislodge the anchor and the ship can become a risk to other vessels," a senior official said.
"They have now asked for a joint inspection. The ship`s management claims that they have taken all steps necessary to ensure that the boat is in good shape and the maintenance is regularly done. We will frame our response soon," the official said.
In January, Goa Chief minister Manohar Parrikar had warned that Kanda`s ship would be auctioned off because it had closed its casino operations and had not renewed its licence.
Kanda is lodged in Delhi`s Tihar Jail for his alleged abetment in the suicide of his former employee and ex-flight stewardess. He had bought the casino vessel from Goa-based Leela Beach Resort in July 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?