OP Chautala`s place is in prison, not in hospital: SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Wednesday rejected the bail plea of former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala who along with his son was convicted in connection with the teachers` recruitment scam in the state.
Brushing aside his plea that he be allowed to remain out of jail on account of his various ailments, the apex court bench of Justice H.L. Dattu and Justice S.J. Mukhopadhaya said that most of the ailments cited by Chautala were related to old age.
Justice Dattu observed, "A thought crosses our mind ... if the petitioner gets a chance to come back to power, will he refuse it citing the ailments being pointed before us."
Mocking the grounds for bail, Justice Mukhopadhaya said if that be the case then jail will only be for the healthy people.
However, the apex court, in a minor relief, permitted Chautala to surrender before the jail authorities by Sep 23 and directed the jail authorities to provide "proper, effective, efficient and expert medical treatment", if so required by him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Finance Ministry allots Rs 2,000 cr extra budgetary grant for Chardham
- China builds massive seaplane: State media
- 'Aam Aadmi Party has anti-women character'
- WATCH: 4 wickets in 6 balls - When Ajit Agarkar bowled devastating last over against Australia
- Watch: Special 'Justice League' Comic-Con 2016 footage will give you goosebumps!