OP Chautala`s place is in prison, not in hospital: SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Wednesday rejected the bail plea of former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala who along with his son was convicted in connection with the teachers` recruitment scam in the state.
Brushing aside his plea that he be allowed to remain out of jail on account of his various ailments, the apex court bench of Justice H.L. Dattu and Justice S.J. Mukhopadhaya said that most of the ailments cited by Chautala were related to old age.
Justice Dattu observed, "A thought crosses our mind ... if the petitioner gets a chance to come back to power, will he refuse it citing the ailments being pointed before us."
Mocking the grounds for bail, Justice Mukhopadhaya said if that be the case then jail will only be for the healthy people.
However, the apex court, in a minor relief, permitted Chautala to surrender before the jail authorities by Sep 23 and directed the jail authorities to provide "proper, effective, efficient and expert medical treatment", if so required by him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites