OP Chautala`s place is in prison, not in hospital: SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Wednesday rejected the bail plea of former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala who along with his son was convicted in connection with the teachers` recruitment scam in the state.
Brushing aside his plea that he be allowed to remain out of jail on account of his various ailments, the apex court bench of Justice H.L. Dattu and Justice S.J. Mukhopadhaya said that most of the ailments cited by Chautala were related to old age.
Justice Dattu observed, "A thought crosses our mind ... if the petitioner gets a chance to come back to power, will he refuse it citing the ailments being pointed before us."
Mocking the grounds for bail, Justice Mukhopadhaya said if that be the case then jail will only be for the healthy people.
However, the apex court, in a minor relief, permitted Chautala to surrender before the jail authorities by Sep 23 and directed the jail authorities to provide "proper, effective, efficient and expert medical treatment", if so required by him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price