OP Chautala`s place is in prison, not in hospital: SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Wednesday rejected the bail plea of former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala who along with his son was convicted in connection with the teachers` recruitment scam in the state.
Brushing aside his plea that he be allowed to remain out of jail on account of his various ailments, the apex court bench of Justice H.L. Dattu and Justice S.J. Mukhopadhaya said that most of the ailments cited by Chautala were related to old age.
Justice Dattu observed, "A thought crosses our mind ... if the petitioner gets a chance to come back to power, will he refuse it citing the ailments being pointed before us."
Mocking the grounds for bail, Justice Mukhopadhaya said if that be the case then jail will only be for the healthy people.
However, the apex court, in a minor relief, permitted Chautala to surrender before the jail authorities by Sep 23 and directed the jail authorities to provide "proper, effective, efficient and expert medical treatment", if so required by him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'