OP Chautala`s place is in prison, not in hospital: SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Wednesday rejected the bail plea of former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala who along with his son was convicted in connection with the teachers` recruitment scam in the state.
Brushing aside his plea that he be allowed to remain out of jail on account of his various ailments, the apex court bench of Justice H.L. Dattu and Justice S.J. Mukhopadhaya said that most of the ailments cited by Chautala were related to old age.
Justice Dattu observed, "A thought crosses our mind ... if the petitioner gets a chance to come back to power, will he refuse it citing the ailments being pointed before us."
Mocking the grounds for bail, Justice Mukhopadhaya said if that be the case then jail will only be for the healthy people.
However, the apex court, in a minor relief, permitted Chautala to surrender before the jail authorities by Sep 23 and directed the jail authorities to provide "proper, effective, efficient and expert medical treatment", if so required by him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why