Panel seeks more details on proposed nuke plant in Haryana
New Delhi: A high-powered panel of the Environment Ministry has sought more details from Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) for its proposed Rs 23,502 crore nuclear power plant in Haryana before initiating steps for according it green clearance.
The proposal is for setting up a nuclear power park (4x700 MWe), to be implemented in phases at Gorakhpur in Fatehabad district along with township for the project. The first phase will comprise of two units of 700 MWe each.
The Expert Appraisal Committee on Environmental Appraisal of Nuclear Power, which met in Hisar in Haryana recently, asked the project proponent to provide more details about the plant site and its surrounding township in the final Environment Impact Assessment and submit it to the ministry for the panel`s consideration.
The panel has sought details of the compensation paid and other measures as part of the project`s rehabilitation and resettlement (R&R) plan for those affected, including landless labourers and artisans. They also sought details of the displacement of homesteads with their R&R details.
The project site comprises mainly of agricultural land, with crops such as cotton, bajara and jowar being cultivated.
Among many other things, the panel has also sought details of safeguard measures against flooding of the project area and also details of cooling towers and heat removal devices used to transfer process waste heat to the atmosphere.
"A scheme for management of radioactive waste should be also be given," it said, adding that it should clearly state whether disposal of solid waste will be above ground or underground, which should be clarified keeping in view the groundwater table.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living