Panel seeks more details on proposed nuke plant in Haryana
New Delhi: A high-powered panel of the Environment Ministry has sought more details from Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) for its proposed Rs 23,502 crore nuclear power plant in Haryana before initiating steps for according it green clearance.
The proposal is for setting up a nuclear power park (4x700 MWe), to be implemented in phases at Gorakhpur in Fatehabad district along with township for the project. The first phase will comprise of two units of 700 MWe each.
The Expert Appraisal Committee on Environmental Appraisal of Nuclear Power, which met in Hisar in Haryana recently, asked the project proponent to provide more details about the plant site and its surrounding township in the final Environment Impact Assessment and submit it to the ministry for the panel`s consideration.
The panel has sought details of the compensation paid and other measures as part of the project`s rehabilitation and resettlement (R&R) plan for those affected, including landless labourers and artisans. They also sought details of the displacement of homesteads with their R&R details.
The project site comprises mainly of agricultural land, with crops such as cotton, bajara and jowar being cultivated.
Among many other things, the panel has also sought details of safeguard measures against flooding of the project area and also details of cooling towers and heat removal devices used to transfer process waste heat to the atmosphere.
"A scheme for management of radioactive waste should be also be given," it said, adding that it should clearly state whether disposal of solid waste will be above ground or underground, which should be clarified keeping in view the groundwater table.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!