Paswan demands judicial probe into Haryana caste violence
New Delhi: LJP on Friday demanded a judicial probe
into an incident in Haryana where two Dalits, including a
physically challenged girl, were burnt alive allegedly by a
group of dominant caste.
The party also demanded immediate rehabilitation of the
victims of the alleged caste violence in Mirchpur village of
Hissar district on April 21, to ensure that they live "freely
Describing the incident as "gruesome", party chief Ram
Vilas Paswan told reporters here that LJP along with National
Democratic Front (NDF) would stage a demonstration in the
national capital on May 20 to protest the incident.
"Judicial inquiry should be ordered and the entire matter
must be disposed of within six months by setting up a special
fast track court," he demanded.
He claimed that it was not the first incident of caste
violence in Mirchpur but "a regular feature as in 2003, 2005
and 2006 also dalits were attacked" in different incidents.
Stating that Haryana was known for such "frightening arson
attacks", he demanded that all such major cases of attacks and
exploitation of Dalits be transferred to Delhi or outside
Harayna for a "fair trial" as it was not possible for the
victims to get justice there because of the influence of the
Paswan said the incident allegedly took place in the
presence of police. "The ghastly incident could have been
avoided if police would have had acted in time," he said
and demanded immediate suspension of "erring" officials.
Members of a dominant caste allegedly resorted to violence
after some of them picked up a fight over some petty issue
with Dalit children in the village.
A 70-year old man and his 18-year-old physically
challenged girl were allegedly burnt alive in their house as
an unruly mob set 15 houses of Dalits on fire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof