Paswan demands judicial probe into Haryana caste violence
New Delhi: LJP on Friday demanded a judicial probe
into an incident in Haryana where two Dalits, including a
physically challenged girl, were burnt alive allegedly by a
group of dominant caste.
The party also demanded immediate rehabilitation of the
victims of the alleged caste violence in Mirchpur village of
Hissar district on April 21, to ensure that they live "freely
Describing the incident as "gruesome", party chief Ram
Vilas Paswan told reporters here that LJP along with National
Democratic Front (NDF) would stage a demonstration in the
national capital on May 20 to protest the incident.
"Judicial inquiry should be ordered and the entire matter
must be disposed of within six months by setting up a special
fast track court," he demanded.
He claimed that it was not the first incident of caste
violence in Mirchpur but "a regular feature as in 2003, 2005
and 2006 also dalits were attacked" in different incidents.
Stating that Haryana was known for such "frightening arson
attacks", he demanded that all such major cases of attacks and
exploitation of Dalits be transferred to Delhi or outside
Harayna for a "fair trial" as it was not possible for the
victims to get justice there because of the influence of the
Paswan said the incident allegedly took place in the
presence of police. "The ghastly incident could have been
avoided if police would have had acted in time," he said
and demanded immediate suspension of "erring" officials.
Members of a dominant caste allegedly resorted to violence
after some of them picked up a fight over some petty issue
with Dalit children in the village.
A 70-year old man and his 18-year-old physically
challenged girl were allegedly burnt alive in their house as
an unruly mob set 15 houses of Dalits on fire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'