Paswan demands judicial probe into Haryana caste violence
New Delhi: LJP on Friday demanded a judicial probe
into an incident in Haryana where two Dalits, including a
physically challenged girl, were burnt alive allegedly by a
group of dominant caste.
The party also demanded immediate rehabilitation of the
victims of the alleged caste violence in Mirchpur village of
Hissar district on April 21, to ensure that they live "freely
Describing the incident as "gruesome", party chief Ram
Vilas Paswan told reporters here that LJP along with National
Democratic Front (NDF) would stage a demonstration in the
national capital on May 20 to protest the incident.
"Judicial inquiry should be ordered and the entire matter
must be disposed of within six months by setting up a special
fast track court," he demanded.
He claimed that it was not the first incident of caste
violence in Mirchpur but "a regular feature as in 2003, 2005
and 2006 also dalits were attacked" in different incidents.
Stating that Haryana was known for such "frightening arson
attacks", he demanded that all such major cases of attacks and
exploitation of Dalits be transferred to Delhi or outside
Harayna for a "fair trial" as it was not possible for the
victims to get justice there because of the influence of the
Paswan said the incident allegedly took place in the
presence of police. "The ghastly incident could have been
avoided if police would have had acted in time," he said
and demanded immediate suspension of "erring" officials.
Members of a dominant caste allegedly resorted to violence
after some of them picked up a fight over some petty issue
with Dalit children in the village.
A 70-year old man and his 18-year-old physically
challenged girl were allegedly burnt alive in their house as
an unruly mob set 15 houses of Dalits on fire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened