People in Hisar voted against corruption: BJP
New Delhi: People`s anger against corruption had led to the Congress loss in the Hisar Lok Sabha by-election in Haryana, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) said on Monday.
The Congress lost the Hisar by-election, seen as significant as Anna Hazare and his team had campaigned against the party, to Kuldeep Singh Bishnoi of the Haryana Janhit Congress (HJC), an alliance partner of the BJP. While the Indian National Lok Dal came second, the state`s ruling Congress finished third in the election.
BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi told reporters that it was a victory of democracy.
"The by-election results show that the people of India have voted against corruption and the Congress," Joshi said.
"This is a victory of democracy...It also indicates which way the political wind is blowing in the country," he said.
His colleague, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj, thanked the people of Haryana and said their alliance with the HJC would continue.
"Thanks to people of Haryana particularly the electorate of Hisar for supporting the BJP-HJC alliance and electing their joint candidate Shri Kuldeep Bishnoi," Swaraj tweeted.
"The BJP-HJC alliance will continue in future also," she said.
The Hisar seat fell vacant in June following the death of three-time chief minister Bhajan Lal, Bishnoi`s father.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi